Thursday, August 28, 2008

dietary changes

The docs are back to thinking Drew may have Asperger's. I really wish they would make up their mind. I decided to take some matters into my own hands. After doing research and talking to Drew's peditrician I have started him on a glutten free diet. I have also taken him off of ice cream and dairy milk products. Usually before bed he gets an icecream cone or small bowl of ice cream. He got a different snack last night and for the first time in I don't know how long he slept thru the night. Don't know if it was a coincincendece or if there is something to it. But it was nice getting a full night's sleep for a change. I have also decided not to fight Drew on what he eats for a while. i will fix him a derivitave of what we eat (hamburger for meatloaf, plain chicken for Fajitas etc) Last night he ended up having a bowl of gluten free cereal for dinner and he didn't ptich a fit about being hungry all evening. Hopefully this will help as well.

From what I read gluten and milk act as drugs in kids with autism and by taking it out of their diet there has been good luck with behavior change.

So I figure if I don't make a big deal about what he eats and also change his diet we may seem some improvement. I will keep you posted.

On another note, I am the lucky person with a gall bladder that doesn't work. so in the next couple weeks I get to have it removed. Yippee!!!!! I have changed my diet and have lost about 10 pounds in the last few weeks. Maybe my reunion in 18 months I will be svelte for the first time in my life.

FT&PD
C

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Hi, Cathy. It's been a while since I've checked here, but happy to read on the updates. Best of luck and many prayers on the dietary changes for both you and Drew. I'm on that bandwagon, too!