Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Spelling You See

Drew hates spelling.  The idea of memorizing a list of words is TORTURE to him. My friend Shecki writes a blog about homeschooling her kids.  She has homeschooled for many many years.  She knows every kid is different and adjusts her lessons to fit each of her kids.


She did a blog post about Spelling You See and how it was working for her kids.  I talked to her about it and decided to at least try the sample lesson online with Drew.  We had a huge hit on our hands.

It doesn't give lists of words. The child concentrates on a paragraph for the week. I read it to him, he reads it to me then he has to find a letter combination for all the words in the paragraph.  Drew then copies snippets of the paragraph the first three days.  Day 4 and 5 he does dictation.  One of the things about Tourette's, at least in our case is that Drew has problems with short term memory.  Spelling words and then not using them again doesn't work for Drew.  This builds each week on past lessons so he uses some of the same words but at the same time builds his vocabulary.




For Drew there is no monotony of doing the same thing over and over.  The lesson takes about 10 minutes. Then we can move on. I only wish math was this easy.

This is about a program I purchased my self and received no compensation or free items for my opinion

No comments: